How to change my address on my health card in Alberta?
The public health insurance program in the province of Alberta is the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP), which covers eligible citizens of Alberta for insured hospital and physician services in the province. It is important to keep your information up-to-date and change your address for your AHCIP. We show you in this article exactly how to do so!
How to change my address for the AHCIP?
2. Calling the AHCIP office:
- 780-427-1432 (Edmonton)
- Monday–Friday: 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed statutory holidays)
- Toll-free in Alberta: dial 310-0000 then 780-427-1432.
3. Visiting a registry agent office
If you require additional information or more details, you can call or email the AHCIP office at email@example.com
What you should know!
- If you decide to call the AHCIP office to update your address, make sure you have your personal health number in hand to provide it to the operator when they ask for it.
- An important thing you have to keep in mind is to not send information or forms by email! If you have any questions or concerns pertaining to your personal health information, it is recommended to do it either in person, by telephone, mail or fax (780-422-0102 for Edmonton).
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I am moving permanently from another province to Alberta?
If you move to Alberta with the intent of being a resident there for 12 months or more, then you are required to apply for the Alberta Health Care Insurance within the 3 months in which you arrive in Alberta.
Until you receive your Alberta Personal Health Card and it becomes effective, you can continue to use the health card from your previous province or territory if you need to access insured health services.
However, note that not all health services are covered outside your previous province. There is a possibility that you end up paying out of your pocket for some health services and then, submit a claim for reimbursement to your previous province. That’s why it is recommended to contact your current health insurance office to make sure which services are covered after you move and to inquire about how to receive reimbursement in the case of you paying for services.
Finally, in Alberta, you are eligible for coverage on the first day of the third month after your date of arrival. But, if you end up applying later, the date in which your coverage starts will be determined once you register.
What if I am moving temporarily from another province to Alberta?
- If you are a student moving temporarily to Alberta to attend school full-time and then return to your home province, you have to keep your health insurance coverage with your home province.
- If you are coming to Alberta temporarily for work purposes, and are maintaining your home in another province in which you return regularly, then you have to keep your health insurance coverage in your home province.
What if I am moving out of Alberta permanently?
In the case of you moving out of the province permanently, two options are available to you:
- Visit an authorized registry agent office.
- Contact the AHCIP office with your full name, personal health care number and forwarding address:
Attention: Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan
P.O. Box 1360, Station Main
Edmonton, AB T5J 2N3
Note that you are still covered by the AHCIP for the balance of the month in which you leave the province and for the subsequent two months! This is a way to ensure that you are covered until you get health insurance in your new location.
Finally, while changing your address for the AHCIP is an important task to do during your moving process, an equally important step is changing your address with your driver’s licence. To find out more on how to do so in the province of Alberta with the Ministry of Service Alberta, read our article dedicated to the subject!
One website for all your address change | MovingWaldo.
Do you have any question concerning your address change? MovingWaldo has been the reference in this sector since 2015. In fact, our free online service allows you to communicate your new contact information to a selection of over 600 private companies and governmental institutions in less than 5 minutes! Let’s just say there is a reason why RE/MAX and Sutton Quebec have chosen MovingWaldo has their official change of address partner.
To learn more about our free change of address service, click here.