How to change my address with the Alberta Pensions Services Corporation?
In the province of Alberta, the pension plans for employees working in the public sector are administered by the Alberta Pensions Services Corporation (APS). The APS oversees 5 main types of pensions:
- The Local Authorities Pension Plan (LAPP)
- the Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP)
- the Special Forces Pension Plan (SFPP)
- the Management Employees Pension Plan (MEPP), and the Public Service Management (Closed Membership) Pension Plan.
We cover in this article how to make your change of address for each one of these pension plans!
How to change my address for my pension plan?
Local Authorities Pension Plan:
- Via the Secure Mailbox in your mypensionplan.ca account;
- By contacting LAPP:
- Phone: 1-877-649-5277
- Hours of operation: Mon/Tues/Wed/Fri: 8:15 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Thurs: 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- APS office location: 5103 Windermere Boulevard SW Edmonton, AB T6W 0S9
- Mon-Fri:8:15 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. MST (excluding holidays)
Public Service Pension Plan:
Your address change in 5 minutes.
Management Employees Pension Plan and Public Service Management (Closed Membership) Pension Plan:
Frequently Asked Questions
I’m not registered for mypensionplan.ca, how do I do that?
Easy! You simply have to:
- Go to mypensionplan.ca and click on the “Register” button.
- Have at hand your member identifier–the 10-digit number that appears on any mailed correspondence from APS. For example, if you’re covered by the PSPP, you’ll find it on recent welcome letters or on your annual Pension Highlights
If you need more info on how to register, you can read this detailed PDF made by the APS. And as always, you can also contact the office responsible for your plan!
I’m moving to another province, how do I receive my pension?
For all of the types of plans we discussed in this article, if you have a Canadian bank account, you will be able to receive your pension through direct deposit wherever you live. Signing up for direct deposit is efficient since the place you live won’t affect when you receive your monthly pension payment. So make sure your banking info is up-to-date on mypensionplan.ca!
In the case that you don’t have a Canadian bank account, you’ll still be able to receive your monthly pension via cheque mailed to your home address. That’s why you need to make sure your personal information is updated on mypensionplan.ca!
I’m moving to another province, what happens to my taxes?
Taxes are usually already deducted from the pension payment you receive every month. That said, the income tax deduced varies based on government requirements and the information you provide to your pension office–especially the Canadian province, territory, or country in which you reside. That’s why, if you plan on moving out of the province or country, make sure you update your information via mypensionplan.ca or contact your respective office as soon as possible. That way, your provincial or out-of-country tax rate will be adjusted as needed.
If you plan on living in another country, note that:
- The Government of Canada has tax agreements with many countries. This means that your income may be taxed at a different rate.
- For more info on these agreements and tax rates, check out the Government of Canada’s Benefits for Canadians Living Abroad page.
- If the country you intend on living in doesn’t have a tax treaty with Canada, your pension will be taxed at a standard 25% rate.
All in all, we hope this article was useful in showing you the ways you can change your address for your pension plan, as well as communicating the importance of keeping your address updated. An equally important task is changing your address on your health card, so make sure to check out our article on how to do so in Alberta!
One website for all your address change | MovingWaldo.
Do you have any question concerning your address change? MovingWaldo has been the reference in this sector since 2015. In fact, our free online service allows you to communicate your new contact information to a selection of over 600 private companies and governmental institutions in less than 5 minutes! Let’s just say there is a reason why RE/MAX and Sutton Quebec have chosen MovingWaldo has their official change of address partner.
To learn more about our free change of address service, click here.