How to change my address with the Registry of Motor Vehicles in Nova Scotia?
The Registry of Motor Vehicles is the corporation responsible for managing the driver’s licensing and vehicle registration system in Nova Scotia. When you move, it is crucial to notify the Registry, so as to make sure that your driver’s licence is updated accordingly.
Who is required to notify the Registry of Motor Vehicles of their change of address?
If you currently are in possession of a driver’s licence in Nova Scotia, then you must notify the Registry of Motor Vehicles of your new address within one month of your move.
How to change my address on my driver’s licence?
To change your address with the Registry of Motor Vehicles, there are four options available to you:
- Free on your MovingWaldo account.
- Use the online Change of Address express service by following these steps:
- Complete and review the application form
- Verify and confirm your information
- Receive the transaction confirmation, which you can print
- Send your Master Number (or full name and day, month, and year of birth) and your old and new addresses via fax to RMV at 902-428-2180 or visit a Registry of Motor Vehicles office.
- Write a letter, date and sign it, indicating your master number, as well as your old and new addresses and submit it to the Registry of Motor Vehicles at:
Registry of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 1652
Your address change in 5 minutes.
What you need!
Before you start your change of address process online, make sure you have on hand one or more of the following documents:
- Driver’s Licence or Vehicle Master Number
- Licence Plate Numbers of all the vehicles registered to you
- Nova Scotia Health Card numbers and birthdates for all household members
- Complete new and old addresses
What you should know!
Through the online Change of Address express service, you are able to change your address to various government offices, not only to the Registry of Motor Vehicles!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I receive a new licence when I change my address?
- You will have to pay a fee
- You will need your licence master number
- If you have vehicles or licence plates registered with another person, a separate application has to be completed for the joint master number
- The new address you give has to be located in Nova Scotia
Where do I find my master number?
You can find your master number on these following documents:
- Your Nova Scotia Driver’s Licence
- Your Nova Scotia Learner’s Licence
- Your Nova Scotia Identification Card
- Your Vehicle Permit
What if I am moving permanently from another province to Nova Scotia?
If you are moving permanently to Nova Scotia, you have to apply for a Nova Scotia Driver’s Licence and register your vehicle with the Registry of Motor Vehicles within 90 days of your arrival.
Your out-of-province licence has to be surrendered once you apply for a Nova Scotia licence.
What if I am moving temporarily from another province to Nova Scotia?
If you move to Nova Scotia temporarily, you are allowed to drive a vehicle for personal, non-business purposes for 90 days with a valid, out-of-province licence. The 90-day period starts from the date on which your vehicle was first operated in Nova Scotia in any registration year.
Finally, as mentioned at the beginning of this article, changing your address on your driver’s licence is important task. An equally important one is updating your address for your health card. You can check out this article for information on how to make your change of address on your health card in Nova Scotia!
One website for all your address change | MovingWaldo.
Do you have any question concerning your address change? MovingWaldo has been the reference in this sector since 2015. In fact, our free online service allows you to communicate your new contact information to a selection of over 600 private companies and governmental institutions in less than 5 minutes! Let’s just say there is a reason why RE/MAX and Sutton Quebec have chosen MovingWaldo has their official change of address partner.
To learn more about our free change of address service, click here.